View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
So many years ago, I visited some distant relatives that lived in Durango, CO. I remember I had my first Sierra Nevada off a keg there and loved the place. It had been a decade since I last visited that town and wanted to check it out. Despite the desire to lay on warm beaches, I convinced the group it was worth checking out. Nestled right by Durango is the famed Million Dollar Highway and that was simply one of, if not the best roads I have been on in my life!

Colorado!

Dan and Anferny resting in the shade while I sought out a new replacement camera.

First picture with camera #2!

Things got a little weird in Durango....

Drinking the local brews at a fine little bar complete with Hammocks on the back patio

Our plan was to originally just spend a night there, but that quickly changed after we had such a good time the first afternoon. We got a motel right by the Animas river which runs through town and a quick dip as the sun was setting was awesome! (Not the Animas river, but beautiful nonetheless)

The next morning Dan and I rose and wanted to go hit the famed Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Silverton. Needless to say, it did not disappoint. Too bad Anthony was out tampon shopping or something...

There were beautiful aspens changing color the whole way out of Durango

We were hauling ass on the way up, so the pictures are from the top down if I recall. Here is a shot up in Ouray.

It was a chilly ride so we warmed up with some 50/50 piss/coffee at this cool little place.

Had to leave our mark too....

Here are some posing/scenery shots

So I knew there was an awesome narrow gauge railway that ran between Ouray and Silverton and I really wanted to check it out if possible. Much to my delight, I saw the smoke from the coal-burning locomotive from miles away headed into Silverton as we were coming down. With a quick flick of the throttle, I made it my mission to see this baby roll into town.

Close...

Closer.....

really close....

It was really awesome that this is a double locomotive train coming in. I guess this is pretty rare to see on this line.

Moving away....

Further....

The End...

The old station/museum

Headed back down

More Utah and Arizona coming up Next!

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/

JJJZJ screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:16 PM
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote