View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #109
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
. Sicass sells some nice kits for the conversion, but does not list "DOT" for any of the lights they sell. Taskys in Everett tells me that every light must say DOT or E3-11 on it. I suspect that many of the LED lights that various suppliers sell do not meet this requirement.
The business doing the inspection can add whatever requirement that they feel makes them comfortable signing off on the paperwork.

That said, the law does not require DOT approved lighting, but RCW46.61.705(2) does specify which sections of RCW46.37 must be complied with.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.705

Jeff is a good guy and understands that finding compliance to some of the lighting requirements may be significantly simplified by starting with DOT approved equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Also, will the stock stator on this bike supply enough juice, or will I need the stator upgrade or AC conversion that everyone seems to suggest anyway? I just read the comment that lights need to work while the bike idles. Any thoughts?
To properly comply with the law, the lighting requirement must be met at all operation conditions and that includes idle. That is why just DOT approved lights is not always enough.

Jump through the hoops, get a plate and enjoy