View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #103
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
WNWT Day 15

Monday morning in Fredericksburg. Woke up to 34 degrees, cloudy, and fog. Yuck... fiddled about for a bit before taking off to see if it would improve. Nope...

Sopped up the dew off the seat and headed out. About 2 miles out of town I cleared the fog, the sun was shining and it was instantly warmer. All Better.

If this guy is hoping to grow rocks on his ranch, he's doing something right.

Interesting aquaduct running through Menard, TX

Having a good day, great weather, clicking off the miles. Then this happened. I swear, wasn't even looking...

The Presidio de la San Saba. Cool ruins. Apparently most of what you see has been reconstructed though. No one was around and I was enjoying my stroll, reading the plaques explaining the different structures when I got a visitor. I wish I could remember the guy's name, but he was seriously passionate about the Presidio. I got a personal tour (imagine about a 1/4 mile walk in a "walk 3 steps, hear a story, walk 3 steps" pattern) of the ruins.

When the fort was being used, they had a tunnel that went under the wall down to the river so they could get water with minimal exposure to the indian threat.

Yeah, it was a bit of a delay I hadn't planned on, but I really had a good time listening to my new friend tell his stories. I think he was really enjoying it too. He had a crazy eyebrow that went straight down. Not sure how he saw through the thing. I don't normally leave my helmet on if I'm going to be mingling with the public, but like I said, when I got there, no one else was there.

Lunch of Champions in El Dorado, TX.

Terrain alternated between flat desert and low mountains for most of the day as I headed west.

Had a rip down I-10 which was boring except for getting to see a small group of 8 or 9 javelinas grazing right along the interstate. I finally got to get off of the interstate and head south for Ft. Davis. I could see the mountains coming. Hazy blue in the afternoon light.

Got to Fort Davis. 365 miles for the day. Rustic little town. Found a nice room at the Harvard Hotel.

Went to the Drugstore/Soda Fountain/Restaurant next door and had chicken fried steak. I dedicate this meal to Chappymx828, who should have played his sugar mama card like I did and be on this ride with me.

Next day will be a loop through the Big Bend area and a trip to the McDonald Observatory for a "star party".
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote