View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
pfdskipper OP
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,013
LED alternative light set-up for the Super Enduro

I decided to ditch my dual 8' HID set up and go with the new LED technololgy.
First off, I experimented with Sanjos model 60's. I was really impressed with with the lights, and at a 100$ each, a great value. A short time after purchasing Sanjos lights, Baja designs had a holiday sale on their products, so I decided to purchase their sqaudron light in a spot configuration, mounted in a KTM mask. I also purchased the new ONX light, also set up in the spot configuration.
I combined all of the lights to form a psuedo nav tower type of design. This was accomplished using Baja designs tecate mounts as a base. Plate aluminum was then used to form the structure holding the lights. The stock, super enduro speedo/instruments were retained and mounted within the light support apparatus. There is a space built to house a roadbook as well, but the roadbook itself will not be installed unless I am entered in a rally, so no pics of that component. I have also built in a space to house an additional onx light at somepoint in the future.

The Sanjo model 60 led's are set to run at 40% of their output when my low beams are on. The squadron and onx are off until my hi beam is selected, then the Sanjo lights become 100% and the Squadron and Onx are also lit up to full brightness. This is achieved using a Skene designs dimmer http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_170.shtml , this is a slick unit with lots of programming options.
Cockpit view:

I am really pleased with the amount of usable light that is achieved with this set-up. The illumination is difuse and puts a wall of daylight in front of the bike. The Nav tower creates a bit of a wind shelter. I dont mind the aesthetics as well, funtion over form. So its a work in progress, thought I would share what I have so far.

pfdskipper screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 10:19 PM
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote