Yes, it was likely related to the FPC, with what was happening on your old F650.
The bypass cable is easier if you simply gut an old FPC and roll your own bypass cable that plugs right into the existing wiring and is controlled by the igniton.
Sending Burns Moto a pile of money is not the answer, anyone can build the cable cheap and do the splice bypass in a few minutes. Also, the idea of a heavy duty battery pigtail to go with the expensive cable they sell is throwing good money after bad, it is not needed, check the existing wiring and see if that is "heavy duty". Uh uh.
All my opinion, I've had my controller fail with absolutely no warning. Bypass splice will get you home.