View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #7868
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I believe they only require stickers for certain named areas.. In fact I know that is the case because when Cheese, Lil, TMlee, the Trips and I camped up in MA we had routes we specifically laid out routes that avoided any riding that required stickers.
I've been heavily involved in this for a couple years now as a member of NETRA's BOD's. The only place you can operate without a sticker is on what is known as Chapter 90 roads.(with a street plate) Private property even requires a sticker. Until we just succeeded in getting a few changes passed, even motorcycles on a motocross track were required to have a sticker and racers under 18 were supposed to have passed a safety course. As it now reads, racers, if they are from out of state are exempt but in state bikes still have to get a sticker.

If you were up in W/MA and following the Berkshire Big Adventure route from last year, you were OK, because everything we used was a Chapter 90 road.
The specific named area you mention is Massachusetts. The only exempt areas are roads.

I don't mind if you don't want to get a sticker and ride anyway, I just want you guys to be aware of the potential consequences. In Tolland/Granville the local PD's are teaming up with the Enviro Cops to hand out $250 fines for riding w/o the reg. If you are on private property without permission they have been known to give out an extra $250 fine for trespass.

As far as not being able to ride a bike on Webster Lake, that seems wrong, if they are allowing snowmobiles on with the same registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I think MA requires a sticker for ANY off road riding, I'm gonna get one sooner or later so I can ride trails in Freetown, we had to stick to roads for now.

MATPOC is correct here if you want to be legal.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 05:49 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote