View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #41
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
sooooo..... even if that service column is 10000, you are still supposed to replace the crank & bearings at 10,000k (6000 miles)?? thats a summer's ridin'.... mebby 2 tops. that would give one pause... an expensive total rebuild every couple years... not interested if that is the case

on the other hand, I need the bike this represents.... as noted, wide ratio 6 speed, injected, 40+ hp, (50 is better), decent suspension, lighter than a DR, enough stator power to run a vest & some lights.... possibly a bigger gastank

who will deliver?
The KTM 530 EXC I sold in spring 2012 had 450 hours on it when it left - the motor had never been any further apart than valve checks and a few shims.

Burned no oil and still had OK leak down numbers, more off road than on road use as well. Not my choice for running down the highway at 100 km/h but I would not be afraid of racking up the mileage on one. The new owner decided to freshen it up over this winter whereas I may have left it for one more year, depending on what the valve adjustments, oil burn and leak down tests told me.

Replaced with a Husky TXC 449 (kissing cousin to the TE 449, same engine but a little bit different suspension) and I am already over the same column (10,000km in Street Usage) in the "Competition Use" Maintenance Schedule (70 Hours) and have no intention of worrying about a lot of the recommended 70 hour replacements till at least 250-280 hours.

Edit:
The emission passing Husky 449's are ~46.5HP (crank) and ~51HP (crank) with the power up kit and Akro exhaust (but no longer meeting emissions).

jasonmt screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:23 AM
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote