View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #211
GrahamD OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
How to induce a hard start issue

There have been a few users experience the dreaded "hard start".

There is a particular set of things that have to be done to induce this.

Since I have never had this problem I was keen to see whether I could induce it by running through a few scenarios that have led to it...

This is a bit of a log to see whether I could nail down the important parts.

First day was just running through a few of the ideas that had been floating around. (sped up so it doesn't drag on too long)

20th Jan 2013

That was a complete fail as far as the hard start goes.

But often people talk about the bike being left for a few days after fiddling or washing.

Well after 2 1/2 days of sitting without the bike being touched and that includes not charging the battery...

23 Jan 2013.

Now it was cleared pretty easily by going for 1/2 throttle, Some go Wide open and it clears.

After the last video I gave the battery a good rest and a charge.

24 Jan 2013
Started fine. Starting to think it is a combination of a slightly flat battery, cold bike and being left after some short runs.

26 Jan 2013

Last hard tests...

Pretty clear how it happens, pretty clear how to clear it. Put it down to modern closed loop FI. Also note that after the ECU "thinks" the engine has fired , probably from the initial burst of engine acceleration, it turns the headlight on. If you want to save some battery life cycle the ignition again and the headlights will turn off again. No point burning 100W for no reason. It may be a part of the problem.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 12:48 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote