Hmm, that's an interesting product. Don't care much for the looks, or the price, yikes
. But the idea has merit.
Anyways, today's update. The splash is complete! Unfortunately, it claimed a victim, the windshield is pitted and damaged. Some sort of chemical reaction. This was always a possibility so I am not upset about it or anything, but really, the purpose of building the splash was to save the shield. Oh well.
The inside of the splash, post windshield removal.
Run the splash over to the bandsaw and trim off the excess fiberglass.
So the next step is to release the inside of the mold, and set about making a new, modifiable screen. I did this right away, and was not good about taking pictures. Once the release was cured, I cut two more layers out and applied them to the inside of the splash. Some process as before. I was able to apply two layers consecutively this time now that I have a nice, rigid splash to work from, instead of the super flexible windshield. Pictured are two layers of fiberglass, plus two reinforcing strips along the bottom to help fill that section out. It all blends into one nice layer as the starch is broken down.
I am also using a new resin which sets up faster, but does not do nearly as good a job at breaking down the starch in the fiberglass, making it more difficult to work with. Unfortunately, we used the very last of the old resin up yesterday, and it can no longer be obtained.
Tomorrow, I will pull my new replica windshield, and cut it down/create the lip. This will involve lots of sanding and bondo. If I have time, I will also make the actual mold. Probably not though.