View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Lippencott, like all of DV changes almost daily. There was a large thunderstorm that came through in August. Took out a fair amount of Goler Wash, made it almost impassable. Then someone (who?) came in and filled the steps with large gravel, making it the easiest I've ever seen it..

Anyway like LarryBoy's videos show Lippencott has tons of loose rocks on top of hard packed sand/gravel.. With the psychological effect of the drop off to the one side, the mountain on the other, and a hard bounce from that unseen rock... The bike is dancing around and traction is like you are on ball bearings..

A big bike with a load is a handful.... a small bike it's not really a problem..

ALWAYS watch for small washouts crossing any of the roads. The most injuries I've seen was from hitting these. Distances are great so you want to kick up the speed.. then it looks like a little 1 foot wide washout and bam you're over the bars.

Ubehebe Road is loose gravel and usually washboarded. Your group will learn quick about letting the bike float and "dance" underneath you. I find that I have to get up over 40 miles per hour to smooth out that dance.. Of course at that speed your eyes have to be way out ahead of the bike!

Sounds like you're asking all the right questions and going to have a good time with the right planning.

Our group is going March 30. Thread is here... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841673

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote