View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #96
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Yes, I have recently started doing that since reading " Guzziology" ( a good practical book). He describes the oil system as 'the sewer' .....I've always thought of it as the blood supply but it both really. He said that the filter does not need to be changed each time as it catches large particles and the smaller ones just keep on circulating in the oil.
I was down at Supercheap yesterday and picked up some Castrol 4T motorcycle oil, usually I use GTX or any cheap one as there is no clutch to worry about....but now I worry about lack of some substance that flat cam followers need and it not always there.
On a Norton forum some of them use diesel oil as it exceeds the specs of the petrol ones.

opps....as you were.

On cleaning, avoid using a water blaster near any bearings as water gets in and stuffs them....common on dirt bikes, bearing shops love waterblasters.....I suggested to the local one they should give them away to customers....
Its zinc that is being reduced as it messes with catalytic converters and DPF filters on diesels. Be careful with choosing a diesel oil because oil manufacturers are now reducing zinc in them too so they can be used in DPF and non DPF applications. DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote