View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #18286
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
What HRC plans is what all the Dakar bikes are doing, and have been doing... Going smaller and lighter.

KTM will replace their current platform next couple of years (possibly next) as it was one of the heavier bikes.

HRC will merely be following suit to match or fall under the BMW/u Husky and Yamaha scales.

I think the ASO may be enjoying a more technical race format and for riders where lighter becomes easier.

Remember back when Boxers and LC8's ruled the Dakar? Oh the good old days... But it looks like these times a changing.
From Honda Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Perhaps it was their plan to build a new bike from the ground up for the dakar, but doing so would have meant they would miss this years race. So they threw together a different bike so that they could gain some experience this year.
I'm agreeing with this line. Honda has the know how, but the time is another story. There's plenty of aftermarket parts and they can easily assemble a win-capable bike. Even with good support and proven techs in the short span of time, the unforeseen and unplanned pops up easily.

Besides, I'm sure Honda smells a market. KTM created their 'Rallye Edition' for a new market if you will. I'm sure that with all the talk of a new bike (a 'CR450 Rallye' ) was probably already in the works in Japan by the time the HRC team hit Peru.

Actually I expect it to become more and more like Moto GP, different Manufacturers racing closer to the same spec. The Bultacos and one offs will become a dying breed..
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote