View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #342
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
yeah. I did some costing on some parts a while back. And I've heard the same (similar size costing) from some vendors and friends. The prep time is nearly the same, and the parts will turn out nearly the same. but the cost starts out about 50% more on smaller parts, say 4sqft on up until the magical break even point, where coincidentally, prep becomes more meticulous and precise and time consuming.

says me and my limited experience, but I've done some research.
That's an interesting way to look at it.

I can see how set up time can take a little longer, but I bet an operator could get pretty fast at it with time and experience. Also, it seems that there are a large number of manufactures out there that infuse small parts and they are making a fair margin. Now, I feel that I should add that I'm not into this stuff to make money right now, so cost per part isn't a driving factor in how I go about making a piece. This is nice because it lets me try new things, and learn new stuff.

One aspect of infusion that is very apealing to me is that you can take your time to get everything right before adding the resin. If you have a complicated mold, you can work the cloth just right, then move on to the next piece. Once this is done, you add your bag and now you have all the time in the world to make sure that your bag sits into the mold just right. You don't have to worry about the open time at all, because there's not any resin in the composite stack until everything is perfect. Of course it's important to mention that infusion most often makes the best parts directly out of the mold with nice resin to fiber ratios. If you add a second vacuum bag on top of the part, you can get that resin/fiber volume down even further.

My first infusion went much better than I thought it was going to mostly because I was using all the wrong stuff, so we'll have to see how it goes once I get my hands on the right stuff.

Mike Z, I have some nice deflectors comming your way, man!

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote