View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Wow these are ugly beyond belief. Can any of those smart guys with some fancy program make them into tracks? Based on other threads, I assume if they were connected into a route, BaseCamp can convert that to a track.
GPSBabel can do the conversion, but it needs a bit of fine tuning. These gpx files were created by National Geographic TOPO and include not only the main route but one or more alternates. The alternate paths confuse the GPSBabel conversion and that is where the fine tuning comes in. Even with the alternate paths removed, the main track is 511 points - an inconvenient number. I have only looked at the first section - D1 - and it follows some existing roads here and there so I'm sure the number of points can be safely reduced. Overall, the track looks fine. Some of the altitude data seems mangled by the conversion process.

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_FAQ.htm explains their feeling about the gpx format. A little silly, IMO.

I will continue to work on these. I have the first segment nearly done, just adding the alternate paths. If anyone is interested, let me know.