View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #75
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Also, how many miles can you usually get from the mousse? Should I run a higher pressure on the highway-like 22 lbs,then maybe 14 off road?
You may have misunderstood what a mousse is. A mousse is not adjustable for pressure on the fly. You can add or remove sections at the installation stage to simulate different pressures, but it's not something you can quickly do when you get off the bitumen.

I'm late to the party, but I'd thought I throw in my experience with mousses:

• I have used predominantly Michelin brand over the last 5 years, and more recently the Linswood/WinX brand. I have 8 bikes currently running mousses.
  • Once the supplied lube has run out, I use silicone lube from Martin Chemicals, and I use a fair bit of it.
  • I re-lube when changing tyres, which is often only every 3 months.
  • I don't think saying Michelin mousses are incompatible with other brands of tyres is true. I think Michelin just state that on their box to line their own pockets. It think what you really need to keep in mind is that Michelin have a different sizing system to most, so their 110/100 is not the same as another's 110/100. It just means you may need to use a 140 size Michelin mousse in a 120 size Kenda tyre for example.
  • My experience has been that the only measurement of mousse longevity that makes any sense is time. People always ask how many kilometres will I get, or how many tyres will I get out of a mousse. Short of catastrophic failure like shown in the picture earlier in the thread, it's a gradual shrinking of the mousse that determines its lifespan. I seem to get a year out of a front (I find that after 15 months I definitely need to do something to bolster the 'pressure' back up). I probably get 18 months to 2 years out of a rear, but this is very hard to estimate due to using different rear tyres and their associated differences in internal volume. When a rear mousse is too soft for one tyre, it gets moved on to the next smallest tyre as explained below.
  • Whilst I have no data to back this up, my feeling is that catastrophic failures are due to a combination of two things: insufficient lubricant (or 'spotty' distribution of that lubricant) and manufacturing faults. I've been trailriding, racing and adventure touring with mouses for 5 years now and have never had a catastrophic failure. Looking at pictures such as that posted above, most failure points seem to be adequately lubed, so why did one section of a mousse fail, yet the adjacent section is fine? My guess is inconsistency in the mousse structure when it was made. I'd like to hear from more people with first hand experience of catastrophic failures. Obviously my experience doesn't extend to high-speed Dakar stages, so I can only comment from a trailriding, enduro racing and adventure riding perspective.
  • I think heat generation is influenced by the fit of the mousse to the tyre. A tight fit (and therefore higher simulated pressure) generates less heat than a soft fit due to less tyre flex than the softer set-up.
  • As mousses age they shrink. There are several options to deal with this. One is to use a smaller profiled tyre; another is to sacrifice an old mousse, cut it into sections and add these sections in to bump the 'pressure' back up. I have also had success with lining tyres with strips of those (usually) blue foam camping mats, of course with liberal lube applied. I have recently done a 2,100km ADV trip with such a set-up in the front tyre, though I'd be a little hesitant to try it on the rear. I race enduros on the camp mat set-up in the rear though. No problems yet. The last way to deal with shrinking mousses is to put them into smaller bikes. Got kids? I have a shrunken 21 inch mousse doing duty in the 19 inch front tyre of a TTR125. It's been in there 5 years now (was a hand-me-down from another racer). I have never thrown out a mousse. One front has been sacrificed to bolster others, but all my rears are still entire. I just need to be mindful of tyre sizes when using them, and add a camp mat layer if necessary. I've also successfully used older mousses when riding sand dunes, which would be too soft and squirmy for hard packed terrain.
  • I don't use rim locks. I don't believe not using rim locks adds to the heat generation when riding. There's a huge difference between a little bit of slipping on the rim under power and spinning inside the tyre. If your rear tyre is slipping so much it's creating heat, you've got bigger problems to deal with.

Yamezz screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 09:40 PM Reason: Add more waffle...
Yamezz is offline   Reply With Quote