View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
My first ever subscribed thread; looking forward to your next update!

I have huge admiration to people like yourself who have the courage to quit your job and pursue your dream. I'd love to do something similar, but I wouldn't be able to go back into my current job and would worry when I got back!

Love your report so far - enjoy your adventure!
Thanks man, I should probably use your comment to talk a little about the mental preparation for this trip. I was leaving a very fun and well-paying job to go be a motorcycle bum for an undetermined amount of time with no promise of work when I returned.

The truth is quitting and doing this trip was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had countless days and nights questioning myself and my motives before I had the courage to send the email notifying the owner of my 2 err 4 weeks.

But the truth is, I know I couldnt live with myself or grow as a person if I didnt do it. I figuratively jumped into the deep end of life and hoped I would survive. I certainly learned a lot about what I enjoy and what I want out of life. This trip was the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Even typing this RR fills me with the afterglow from the trip and Im currently planning something else for spring as a result.

So for all you self-doubters, just sack up and do it if you want to travel. It sounds cliche, but you only live once. Do you want to wake up old and crusty and regret not travelling? Or decide to travel after retirement and find yourself missing out on a lot of the fun that could have been incorporated in your younger years? I dont know about you, but that is my biggest fear in life.

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote