View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #868
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Motocross has been killing itself ever since it started. They talked about it on that show 'Inside the Outdoors' in one episode. How kids need to be homeschooled since they travel so much. Parents mortgage/sell the farm to keep the kid in bikes and gear. All for the very slim chance of being on a factory team that actually pays a salary. Most riders, even in the pro classes, barely make anything. And then if you get injured? Teams can change riders like changing underwear.

Makes it very difficult to promote talent to the pro series. The series/promoters/factories need to find ways to support the amateur ranks better. It will make for a stronger series in the long run.
I totally agree. I can't tell you how many local fast guys get to a certain point in their careers and have to give it up due to the financial commitment it takes to get to the next level.

There are very few smaller companies that can afford to foot the bill for an entire season of cross country trips, practice/race bikes, mechanic wages, fuel, transport costs, etc. Most local guys get a little help from a bunch of places, but not enough to compete at the highest levels. The factories pour all their resources into a couple guys each year, maybe 3 or 4 tops. Could they spread that out to 6 or 8 guys? Would that make racing more balanced? I don't know.

The coolest thing I've seen is the Driven to Ride series from last summer. Those are local kids who worked their tails off with a shoestring budget to make all the nationals. Where did they end up? I'm sure they are both broke, in debt, and right back where they started. Even though Derek earned a national #63, there wasn't a ride for him even with a fringe privateer team. I do see him running in the LCQ's in the SX Lites this season. I don't know how he does it.

Anybody know where Shorty ended up? Did he land on K'Dub's bikes?