View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I really like the the puller that cycleworks makes for steering head bearings and it's relatively cheap.
Trip tree bearing puller was very nice. I've received a 'new improved' version of the steering head race puller and believe the CAD needs a bit of reboot. Sent a note to Dan who has been helpful along the way - completely possible I was doing something wrong too.

I solved the 'height issue' for races by repurposing an appropriately sized eye screw with a hack saw. This gave the tension nut the required clearance over the space tube to extract the race.

In a fantastic demonstration of slow thinking confusion, the first race took 90 minutes to extract with the second taking 9.

EZ pleazy

Factory version locked itself up before the job was done - bottomed out against the too tall two nut stack (or space tube to short)

The washer is split and must be squeezed with pressure to splay out and grab the race. Custom

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote