View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
SikDMAX OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Building a Truck Bed Trailer

Well, I made a booboo a while back and dented up the side of my 08 Chevy Silverados truckbed. Yesterday I located a new bed for it and bought it - and now have an extra!

Id like to turn that truck bed into a trailer for hauling motorcycles, similar to the ole hack-off-the-back-of-the-truck style trailer, but a bit nicer.

I will utilize the original tail lights as, well, tail lights, as well as leave the bumper and tailgate on. 2 roll-in chocks will be installed in the bed along with LED white lighting. 110v, 12v and USB power ports in the bed. 4-6 foot tongue length from front wall of bed to hitch, decked with diamondplate or similar. Weatherguard toolbox chest installed on the decking closest to the bed which will house 2 Optima Red Top batteries along with a 110v inverter. In front of the toolbox will be a spot for 4 5 gallon "utility" jugs, capable of being locked in place.

Id like to install a set of airbags to help get the bed lower to the ground for loading/unloading. Not sure if I can utilize a helper-bag type setup or will need to get more custom here. If I run air I will also have a 12v compressor and holding tank in the front toolbox.

As far as the frame, I'm thinking 2x4 box tubing, double height on the tongue area and the necessary bracing. After the frame is done it will be powdercoated.

Im wanting to run 8 lug wheels, matching the Duramax, so Im not sure if a trailer specific axle with 8 lug outers is the best way, or if I should find a Silverado axle and leafs to run.

Sooo..... what am I forgetting, what tips can you offer, etc etc. Im going to start building this in a week or so, and Ill start a build thread here to document the progress. Thanks!