View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
Great work. Could be a hill climbing machine too. Is that the stock exhaust cut down?

Yes.... I was thinking about leaving the whole pipe on, but it had a big dent on the left side.

I don't know if you ever cracked one open but the muffler has two main chambers, and there is a plate right at the bend with three holes in it that separates the front from the back. Three tubes channel the exhaust from those holes to the rear of the pipe at the taper or cones. The exhaust then travels in reverse back towards the bend and exits through a number of holes hole in the central outlet tube to eventually come out the single hole in the end.

What I did was cut it at the bend leaving the plate in place and then cut it again at six inches from the cones. I then took that back section cut the center tube at a 1/4 inch back 45 degree angle so I could slide that back piece over the front section like a cap. When pushed up against the plate it still had enough room to vent, but the tubes could slide back into the holes, and outer skin would slide past the plate on the outside.

I then lined up what remained of the three tubes and put them back in their holes and slid the back piece over the front section of pipe like a sleeve, then tigged it with stainless, with a lot of filling.

The result is the exhaust is shorter but it works the same way with exhaust pushed back to the cones through the three small tubes, then reversed, before they can to get into and exit through the central pipe. Less travel distance, but similar back pressure, slightly louder, with more thump, but it's actually not annoying like most choopers with overly loud aftermarket pipes.

I've had about ten people come up to me when riding it and say the pipes sound great. It's a really pleasant chopper type sound.

Before I heard them I was considering getting some after market short pipes for it but I'm keeping these they seem to have enough back pressure and sound awesome.

Jim Day screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 03:02 PM
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote