The bike does not sputter or lose power when it cuts off. Running clean and strong one second, off the next. Not so much as a cough when turning over. After it died yesterday I tried a little starting fluid - still no much as a cough.
I removed then replaced the main 20a fuse by the battery. It required a little effort to remove and replace - it fits snugly in the clips.
The head/taillight, turn signals, horn, neutral indicator, and starter continue to work in this condition.
I suppose the next step is to check that I have spark & rule out a possible faulty plug.
The engine service manual I have is for a 98 LC4 Enduro, not sure what changed between 98 and 99 -- but it does list some detailed instructions for checking different components of the electrical system. Some of the tests have to be done with bike running so I doubt I will be able to do that (if it starts at all this morning).
Still 39 degrees outside, too cold in the shop just yet. I'll dig in a bit later.
Queen of Spades screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:27 AM