Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #17719
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinbuck View Post
Why not just weld on the whole washer from the top? You'd end up with more bottom surface area (good in sand) and it'd look a lot more "commando", to boot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I have a done a few of these and one of them I did was like you said...just putting the washer on the bottom and welding on the top. It's not what I wanted to do but that's what he wanted. It looked terrible and every time I see it I want to cut it off and do it right... KLR owner. I prefer my stuff to be a bit more clean of an installation, I did another one on the wife's DR200 where I cut it out but welded from the top, not as clean looking.....I may redo it one day it's not about strength it's all about surface area so it really doesn't matter. As long as it helps to keep the bike upright in soft surfaces I will be happy.
I agree with welding from the top, if only because it looks like 75% of the weld on the bottom was ground off to regain the flat surface. You can see places where it looks like the washer and stand are no longer welded together.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote