View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Actually Lola, if I were committed to riding a scooter to and in South America, I don't think I'd take either a GTS250 or a GT200, though I have owned both and both are fantastic scooters. I have 15,000 trouble free miles on my GT200 and rode it up to Canada and back from San Diego.

Having said that, if I were going to ride in SA, I'd get a '70's Vespa P200, rebuild the motor, suspension and wiring, get a BBQ rack, and head off into the sunset. It carries a spare tire under the cowl ready to go, so you don't have to carry an extra wheel with a tire on a rack. Parts are available just about world wide, and I'll bet there are more P series Vespas in South America than any other model. Not only that, if you do break down somewhere and need an engine rebuild, it can be done in a matter of hours on the side of the road, if necessary.

The BBQ rack and a front rack would allow you to carry plenty of gear. One drawback: small gas tank, so you'd definitely need a rotopax or two. I'd think about putting a Rally style gas tank in the scoot just to have a little more range, and carry some cables with you.

I'm rebuilding a P200 right now, and decided (with the help of a friend) this morning that the P200 will be my Pacific Northwet Cruiser, garaged at my daughter and son-in-law's home near Seattle. That way when I'm up visiting, I can hop on the scooter, and avoid rental cars, and can easily make the trip up to Vancouver Island to see my parents.

YMMV.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote