View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1233
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
@ Gany, nice ! I always like people trying new things, let us know the stability of this thing. If you push it sideways, does it give way and spring back ? Vibrations? I was thinking about desert and in general summer temps. From what I have seen the PE pipes that I have used before they get soft if you leave them in the sun and then they retain that shape when it gets cold. I am wondering if this will get softer after racing in the sun. Thoughts ?
Yet to be proven.

8mm is pretty stiff, there is some deflection but it springs back, not sure whether it will vibrate like cheap mirrors and make things unreadable. I will need to load up the roadbook with some weight to see what the wobble is like. Will report back when I give it a shake down test.

All I have read is that the heat deflection temp is 85C@0.46 MPa (66 psi) and 60C@1.8 MPa (264 psi) with a melting temp of 130C. So I guess under pressure and in the sun (particularly black) it is not inconceivable that it would reach temps of up to 60-85 degrees and warp. Perhaps airflow keeps the temps down. I dont plan on racing in the Fiambala! Then again, Paco Martinez raced dakar last year with HDPE tower parts and survived? Time will tell?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote