View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1233
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
@ Gany, nice ! I always like people trying new things, let us know the stability of this thing. If you push it sideways, does it give way and spring back ? Vibrations? I was thinking about desert and in general summer temps. From what I have seen the PE pipes that I have used before they get soft if you leave them in the sun and then they retain that shape when it gets cold. I am wondering if this will get softer after racing in the sun. Thoughts ?
Yet to be proven.

8mm is pretty stiff, there is some deflection but it springs back, not sure whether it will vibrate like cheap mirrors and make things unreadable. I will need to load up the roadbook with some weight to see what the wobble is like. Will report back when I give it a shake down test.

All I have read is that the heat deflection temp is 85C@0.46 MPa (66 psi) and 60C@1.8 MPa (264 psi) with a melting temp of 130C. So I guess under pressure and in the sun (particularly black) it is not inconceivable that it would reach temps of up to 60-85 degrees and warp. Perhaps airflow keeps the temps down. I dont plan on racing in the Fiambala! Then again, Paco Martinez raced dakar last year with HDPE tower parts and survived? Time will tell?
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote