Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #541
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I would run the 19L tank and then bring another 1/2-1 gal via MSR bottles in a tail bag. We used the motojavi from giant loop and it worked great.

You might also end up getting a splash of fuel from some folks at the start of a stage once their rider is through and though would be helpful too. Gilky's crew gave me a splash on the start of the last day and it saved me from having to stop and use my spare gas.

I would plan on doing most of your eating in the morning and carrying 2-3l of water and energy bars for a mid-day break during a transfer. Not going to be time to stop for ceviche for lunch!

No night riding unless something goes really wrong. At that point you aren't racing anymore since you maxed out the times and I would just take it easy wit the stock light and leave the helmet light at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMoto View Post
Inmates:

I'm signed up and looking forward to my first Mexican 1000. Tim Morton is moving my gear along each day but I'm otherwise coming down alone with no crew or pit support (it seems Mag 7 isn't a great option).

Couple of questions so I can prepare:

It looks like the longest special last year was 175 miles. Does it make sense to run a 19 liter tank (instead of my current 13 liter on my 500xcw) and not have to worry about any sort of fueling during a stage? (I'm thinking YES)

Are Pemex stations along the transit sections a reliable source of fuel? Or do I need to weasel a fuel can along with another teams support crew.

Do I need to carry food and water for the entire day? or stash a care package with another team or race organizer?

Is there any riding at night? Should I bring along my helmet light?

Any other stupid questions I should be asking?
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote