Thread: Go Sportsters
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #2092
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,188
Well, all good Go Sportsters should be able to stop, right? The stock 48, with its two piston caliper and single sided disc, while it worked ok, did leave a little to be desired. After doing a bit of looking around I decided to try an upgrade that I found on xlforum...

Upgrading the stock two pot to this:

A left side four piston Nissin caliper from an XR1200...

Comes with pads already installed:

AND bolts straight up to the 48 with no other modifications required:

Cost a little over $150 shipped to my door from cyclepartsforless. The caliper, a couple of new sealing washers, some brake fluid and a little time swapping the parts and bleeding the brake system, and VOILA! Much improved brakes!!

I think it looks a little better too...

Not really sure that they do much for actual "Go", but they sure sound better than the stock exhaust... The first thing I did was add this set of Cycle Shack slash cut slip-ons. Then as mentioned earlier in this thread I just didn't care for the forward controls, so I purchased a set of mids for $65 shipped, from a member over on xlforum. Much more natural feeling for me, and I no longer feel like i'm struggling to stay in the seat under hard acceleration or high speeds. Another side benefit was that the change in controls altered my hip postion just enough so that I actually don't find the stock seat uncomfortable any longer.

Just recently swapped out the pegs for the ones seen in the pic above. They ride a little higher, and inward than the originals mounted on the mids, pictured below.

Still up, when funds allow, is a set of ~13.5" Ohlins, longer fork damper rods from the Roadster, Intiminators and fork springs.

Then, I have an NRHS HurricaneFlow filter set-up for it too... Got a good deal on it used from a member here... Just waitin' till I can do something about the fueling before I install it.

Once those things are done I think I'll pretty much be happy with the major "Go" parts.

Also just picked up this never before installed Lick's solo bag for $130 from another member over on xlforum.

Planning a brown leather seat to match at some point down the road, once I figure out exactly what I want and have the cash. SInce discovering that the mid controls makes the stocker fairly comfortable I may just have my stock seat recovered in leather by Roberti. But that's coming after the other stuff anyway...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 03:40 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote