Got some time to get back to it yesterday. Went from this:
Pretty straightforward assembly. Probably took about an hour and a half. And everything went really smoothly except for one thing - the shift-rod seal installation. I had picked up a tip from a UK 2-stroke site that suggested not to install the seal in the case but instead put the shift rod through the case and then work the seal over the rod.
Turned out to be good advice, because the seal includes a small circular spring that wants to pop off as you slide the seal over the splines - which it did repeatedly, though eventually I got past the splines. But that was as far as I got because as soon as the seal hit the cut-out for the cir-clip it jammed. I tried gently poking at it for about 15 minutes before I gave up. Eventually I tried wrapping a piece of electrical tape over the cir-clip slot, and then sliding the seal on. That worked perfectly and after it was in, I just slid the tape out.
Seal is in, tape pulled back out:
Next up: clutch assembly and rotor/stator while waiting for the cylinders to arrive.