View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,098
Sacramento Dual Sport Dads

While I'd like to do more rides with my buddies out in the boonies, I also have the duty to teach my ways to the next generation. I'm finding more and more dads in the area who ride but who also have kids who like to ride, too. And here's the inspiration for this thread.

For example, on MLK day, three of us Dad's in the know took our kids out to Prairie City for a day of riding in some lovely wintertime sunshine. Unbeknownst to me, another Advrider (Scott, you know who you are...) was out there with his kids, too. so that begged the question, why couldn't we have known ahead of time? And though taking our kids out may seem to be a chore when all they want to do is ride the kiddy track, it can be a bit more tolerable if you're there with other Dads in the same situation (like me!) And here's the best part. I've found that kids ride more (and better) when around other kids they know. Sure, it's peer pressure. But sometimes it's a good thing. And if you're thinking your kid may do better or need a bigger/different bike, you're likely to get a free test ride if you have a group of kid-bikes to choose from. And nothing like a little face time to set yourself up for some hand-me-down gear, too. And maybe bring your bike(s), too. With enough parents around, some Dads can take off and have a little fun, too.

I intend to use this thread to announce any days where I take my boys out to go riding and wouldn't mind some company. No rules, no fees and no B.S. Just hang out and watch the kids ride, and maybe get a chance to take a spin yourself, too. Please use it for any times you intend to ride, too.

Nothing better to get kids away from the boob-tube and other electronic devices. And yes, it can be a workout:

Let's get the next Advrider generation started right...

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote