View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
I've been to Mexico (and all the central american countries) but have missed out on Copper Canyon. Assuming this security map of mexico is up to date, zipping down to CC next week will be fine.

So, the question that remains- what roads/areas are passable by a solo rider with significant dirt experience but who won't be on knobbies? I mean, I'm fine abusing a 'Strom and I'm have taken it on singletrack, not mention over Baja 1000-scarred roads and up on the Alaska gravel.

So the cliche moment is to get to Creel. Then what? Does anyone have recommended GPS tracks, GPS maps that cover there in detail, or know of paper maps that cover the area in detail, or can list cities worth seeing in the canyons?
There is a map that will load into your 60. It is made from tracks that I have recorded in the sierras.

If you go to www.ccoons.com and click on "Mexico Info Links" you can download it. It is an .exe and should self install in Mapsource so you can load it to the GPS.

You might also be interested in the mileage chart below the map. The .pdf map above the gps map might be useful, but I see the link for that is broken. If you pm me an email I can send that to you. I'll try to look at the link tomorrow to see if I can fix it.

I spoke to Tury (lives in Chihuahua) recently and apparently the main road to Batopilas is not passable due to construction. The alternates are possibly passable on a strom, but you will work really hard for some of it and if you get in a fix it might be a long time before somebody finds you.

It might be different when you get there.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote