View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
There are only two 'developed' campgrounds inside the monument. But you are allowed to camp outside those two in some areas..essentially the hills. Open camping isn't permitted either on the Carrizo or Elkhorn plains (meaning the flat areas between the two ranges).

Camping rules: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/baker...o/camping.html

The whole place is 'pack it in, pack it out'. No garbage service inside the National Monument.
Thanks Walt, I checked out the link you provided. Nice to know that open camping is allowed in the foothills. That solves that problem nicely.

PS- I've been checking out your excellent website for the Carrizo Plains. You are quite the expert on the area. Can you suggest some good open camping (wild camping) spots that would offer good views at sunrise or sunset? I'm going to be taking some landscape photos, and would appreciate any suggestions. But on that note, I'm not much into taking panoramas from hilltops or ridges, looking down over valleys. I prefer to take photos from the standpoint of being in the valley, looking up towards ranges and mountains.

Jedi5150 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 10:55 PM
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote