View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #440
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post

BTW it's not about dropping everything to provide low-margin services for every price-shopper that calls or drops in - it's about setting the customer's expectations up front, being honest, following through on what you promise, and sometimes going the extra mile for someone (especially if they are in a bad situation (broken down or stranded)).

I have no idea how you ran your business, and I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work out - nothing saddens me more than someone having to shutter their dreams - but it sounds like you considered many of your customers to be nothing more than a Pain In The Ass...not a formula that generally works out long-term.
Customers in bad situations (and with good attitudes who don't walk in demanding you drop everything to service their needs) is way different.

No, I did not treat my customers like they were a PITA...I closed very busy, with people in line, having to disappoint and turn people away. One man show, too willing to "drop everything" to help out the guys who "were in a bind"...just didn't make enough money to cover the overhead (unless I wanted to live at the shop and wreck my marriage).

There should be a happy medium here between a business owner's need to be able to do what's right for his business vs. what the "customer" feels he deserves.
09 TE450

bobnoxious67 screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 01:00 AM
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote