Thread: XR650R Thread!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #15870
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Ha Chris, then you'll like this one too: take apart, use Hylomar Blue (never setting gasket maker paste) instead of grease, and ride until the Earth ends - and screw Mayans too
OK, a trick mainly for hard/brittle rubber parts of oldtimers for which you cannot get parts, but run it will. Way better than silicon as the Hylomar 'glue' easily comes loose again. Ah, NO Allan, go buy a new boot ya hear?
Agree with pullstarting, and he should know to drop hard in the saddle the moments he lets the clutch go.
Must say, I'm curious as to what it will turn out to be!
I'll check out the Hylomar Blue, hadn't heard of it but I agree, RTV is a poor repair for a rubber manifold problem.

Tje, the symptoms you described could be a number of things but it mostly sounds out of tune, probably the carb. Since you just got it, I'd go through everything, verify the valve adj, jetting, float height and overall setup like cable adjustments, specifically throttle and decompression freeplay. Blow out/verify all the carb passages while it's apart. I'd verify it's decorked. Doing this will familiarize you with the bike which will be invaluable when you have an issue in the middle of nowhere and you'll be surprised how out of tune previous owners will let a bike get. Also get a manual and read this thread start to end, it will educate you

Your chain looks a little tight too

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 04:03 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote