Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #17726
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Kick-start installation

I installed the kick-starter on my E yesterday. It went surprisingly well, in spite of the way the instructions read.

I didn't have the special tool for holding the clutch, so I put the transmission in 5th gear, stuck a big screwdriver in the rear sprocket, against the swing arm, and loosened the nut. Put it on the same way. A 1 1/16 socket fits the nut (27mm) perfectly. Technically, it's 4/10,000 inch small (1.0625" vs. 1.0629") but neither nut nor socket noticed.

The parts kit is somewhat strangely packaged, with unrelated parts in several plastic bags. For example, I thought the starter shaft seal was missing but it turned up inside the compression release lever cover. Those two parts were in one of the bags. Other weird combinations made me scratch my head. Everything was there, though, including a new cotter key for the rear master cylinder linkage.

With the Unabiker radiator guards in place, the compression release assembly gets ugly. Installing the cable is a trick. Possible, but tricky. Finding room on the left handle bar is tough, as mine has a horn switch and mirror, for road-legal riding. Had to pull off a brand new grip, as well. The lever mount is one piece, and slides on the end of the bar.

Put the new Tonn's skid plate on, too. They're very nice. I went with the bare aluminum version. The steel one is less money but I haven't ever seen one, so was skeptical.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote