View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #4467
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Funny you should mention that. That's where the myth of BMW reliability started. A /2 built in the 60s could easily do 50 - 100K miles. That wasn't true of most of the british and japanese bikes of the time where they were often ready for the junk pile at 20K miles.

Today there is no real difference between BMW and any other bike built. All have strengths and weaknesses. All will take you more miles than most will put on the bike before they replace it for something new. Most replacements will be because of "I want" not "I need".

If I like the new bike after a test ride I'll probably order one. Not because I need it. My '05 only has 75K miles on the odo; it is still running strong.
Excellent point - and I should realize that after looking over a beautiful 1961 BMW at my dealer a couple weeks ago...they did a full restore job on it and it runs like new. Even cooler is the fact the parts are still available.

I agree with the lack of differences between BMW and everyone else in this regard. The design and electronic engineering that goes into an ECU on a BMW is probably no different than my old Aprilia...might even be from the same manufacturer like Siemens or Bosch or Magnetti Marelli. The differences begin at the application level...hardware level? Very similar.

Does make you wonder if BMW has higher standards when it comes to noise, vib, harshness...especially for the enduro class machines.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote