View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Question Red Flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEMONSTER View Post
Anyone have this problem. Warmed the engine up and drained oil. It came out all frothy. Put the new oil in started it up and watched it whip up in the sight window.

R1150GSA 2004
Frothy needs definition and description...what was the color [as mentioned], what % was 'frothy' and then describe "whip up". These descriptors could be signs of differing causes...some serious, some of no concern.

When oil is drained, for grins, mix it vigorously and put as much as you can in glass jar. Let it stand for a few hours and then look for separation in the liquid or solids in the bottom.

Better yet send a sample to Blackstone Lab for analysis.

Oh yes, water does not always 'boil' at 212 degrees; sometimes [altitude] it boils at lower temps. Personally I have never had enough moisture enter an engine from atmospheric sources to create any visual changes in the oil....but then again I live in an arid part of the country. If an engine needs to periodically run to high temps to "burn off water vapor", then the engine is poorly designed...regardless of the style of riding. Just my take and of course I could be wrong.

I am new to boxer motors and do not know if being overfilled will cause frothing due to rods churning up oil. If my engine oil was off color or frothed when I drained it...I would stop right there and send off a sample of oil for analysis.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote