View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #4476
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
They didn't have to add water cooling, but were forced to. I still like my 83,000 miles 2007 GS 1200 without it better, it's a simpler bike and more robust in case of a fall. The dry clutch is still working as new, though I never abused, nor babied it.
It may overheat in stationary traffic but that hasn't happened even on 4th July "parade" exiting NYC and then Chicago.
I do like the CAN BUS, allot less wires overall, and having a GS 911 makes troubleshooting and maintenance a breeze using the app on the phone or a laptop.
As far as suspension, I like my custom sprang, manually adjustable Hyperpro shocks and don't think I need someone else to program preset settings that are a compromise. Plus the original shocks were shot - front after only 6k miles leaked and was replaced in warranty.
Since ABS and Traction Control can be turned off, I think it's the best of both worlds. A skilled and always aware rider may never need either, but it's not me, so it's nice to know they're there when I have a brain fart.
Being that we are a consumer driven society we are convinced the right thing to do is throw away old stuff and buy new one as soon as possible.
I'd rather have more time to ride than work more to get more money to buy a new motorcycle, but that's just my .002 cents.
If someone has both the funds and time to enjoy the new machine, they deserve it.

Dracula screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 05:55 PM
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote