Thread: The Way South
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #90
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Crossing and Routing

Thanks for tuning in Ind500. The internet access has been pretty spotty here in Chile where I am hanging out for a month.

I crossed the border at Columbus,NM/Palomas, NM because it is a pretty straight shot south from where I live in Colorado. It was cold as hell. I had to lay over in Silver City, NM for a night because of snow and freezing rain. Where you cross pretty much depends on where you are dropping down from. The crossing at Palomas is very easy. Not much traffic and everything is located together at the border. My choice of a first stop was in Nuevo Casas Grandes where I had stopped before in 2006. Nice hotel on the main drag. I will try to dredge up the name. I don't have my Mexico notes with me here in Chile. After NCG I pretty much took the most direct and fast route south to Zacatecas and eventually San Miguel de Allende that I liked so much that I stayed for three weeks. I took the cuotas (toll roads) because I was trying to make a schedule that I gave up on when I realized that Mexico has its own schedule and that riding there is very different from riding at home. The cuotas are pretty much like our freeways, sometimes a bit rough, boring, but you can really haul ass and if you don't you will get passed like you were standing still.

I will check to see if I have some notes on this computer but pretty much left everything with my bike in Mex.

David