View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #154
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I'm curious as to your current and future tire choices for the Tiger. (Will you go more "off-road" oriented when you replace the current tires.)

I am a little nervous about exploring the Rockies this summer on my stock tires....
Hey king,

As I'm sure you're figuring out, the stock 800XC tires last forever! But are limited in off road traction. The front and rear on mine actually wore out about the same time. I put TKC80's on it to do the Trans Wisconsin Trail in 2011. They worked great for that ride. Stick way better on pavement than a knobby has a right to and do good off the pavement. They are noisy though. I swapped back to the stockers when I got back and kept the TKC's for future dirt-focused rides.

When the stockers finally wore out, I wanted something that would strike more of a balance between on and off road. Shopped around and read some reviews and went with Shinko 705's. I've been really happy with them. Fairly cheap (can get rears for around $90). Good traction everywhere (but haven't had them in sand or really deep mud... yet). I've probably had the front on for maybe 7000 miles and it still has good life left. I put a new rear on before I left Iowa and I'm approaching 5000 miles on it now and it's toast. I'm confident I'll get better than 5000 out of them around Iowa though. The roads in the south I've been riding are all a chip-seal asphalt that I think is a little harder on tires than the concrete and blacktop back home. Plus I've been running loaded up and higher speeds as well.

I've been seeing more and more of them on adv bikes. buls4ever has them on his Wee.

K
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote