View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #1417
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,626
With the Sherpa off the love boat, the dueño here at Residencias Florida called his friend in Medellin who has a truck. He is coming to Turbo today and can take the bike back to Medellin tomorrow with me and my gear. I did a quick google.maps search and it is 330 kilometers mas o menos. Gas prices here are 8800 pesos per gallon or about $5.00/gal. He is charging me 100,000 pesos for the ride. That comes to around 55 bucks by my calculations. So I think it is paying for his gas back home and that's about all.

He will deliver me to trespalacio's Dad's house and I'll take it from there. Look forward to Medellin. Have heard nothing but good things and there are plenty of places to find parts. Should be interesting.

Before I leave Turbo, here is the DIAN building for doing your bike temporary import:

It is a fair way out of downtown, so I found it easiest to hop on a motorcycle taxi to get there and back. The taxista waited for me while I took care of aduana details and rode me back to the guesthouse. Cost for the mototaxi ride was 10,000 pesos or about $5.50. There was no cost for the temporary import for the bike. They give you three months.

I will get SOAT insurance in Medellin after I get the Sherpa mobile again on trespalacios recommendation. The nice folks at DIAN said it wasn't necessary for a non functioning bike. But it covers medical expenses if you wreck your bike. And who knows if that will come in handy.

So today my only mission is to find a razor to shave, wheel the bike over across the street next to the gas station to Dona Julia's for secure parking for the night and upload photos to finish filling in the holes in this ride report. I am currently sitting on the balcony looking down at the Sherpa:

and the nice central square across the street with a nautical theme:

Excellent vantage point for people watching.

more later…..

JDowns screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:23 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote