View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
I decided to put the 81 on pan on my earlier RS. New pan, new gasket, clean and dry. After setting the bolts after a few rides, all seemed OK but within a few weeks I could see it was weeping more than it should.

Next maintenance inspection I pulled the pan. Flange looked fine and proved dead flat, but you could see the image of the final finishing process. I hit the flange with some 400grit and a palm sander. It now was flat matte homogenouse. Put it back on dry. Issue resolved. No weeping at all.

Next time you have the pan off, just go ahead and do treat the surface to insure a perfect seal.

Then let the engine drip overnight or several hours and mop it all up around the lower flange. Now take a flat file and just stroke it around the perimeter enough to see if highlights appear around any stressed holes. Proof positive of over tightening at some times in the past. Takes nothing but the right sized piece of wood and abrasive to make that a perfect surface again as well.

Refining these details is what is meant by enhanced specifications. You spend the extra time to make things better than the factory specs could. You tend to get overall better results than stock in this way.

Rare is the mechanic that will demand from his client the extra 20 minutes or so to do this better work for such as a leaky pan gasket replacement. My clients always knew it they wanted cheaper, it was available everywhere. They came to me because I resolved long standing problems with techniques as simple as abrasives and time, efficient and effective with skill. Now his garage baby doesn't drip anymore.

Refined results can only come from refined procedures. If you can do these things yourself, you can make the machine better in many ways as you do your scheduled maintenance and repairs.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote