View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #147
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I've been riding since I was a young kid, over 30 years. Mostly dirt bikes and few street bikes here and there. Riding for me has always been a large part of my life. I've taken breaks on many occasions, but I'm always reeled back into it…. I think a lot of it has to do with the adventure; and the ability to just get up and go somewhere, anywhere to clear your head and enjoy the scenery, smells and open road. There's nothing like it, especially in the west.

Nevertheless, I’m currently taking a break from street riding because I’ve become a father for the 1st time a few months ago (at the age of 40). I’m not taking a break because the associated risk, although there are many, but rather the time commitment involved. I don’t want to miss certain milestones in my infant daughter’s life…her babbles, sitting up, crawling, walking, 1st words, etc. I already feel like I’m missing these milestones by having to work, but as we know there are certain sacrifices that we have to make in life. My only contribution for making up for lost time is to spend as much of my free time with my daughter and my wife as possible.

I’ll continue to ride dirt bikes every Sunday and Wednesday night (in summer) as it requires only a few hrs and it helps clear my mind and keeps me in shape. Am I going to return to street riding, sure, but for the time being I’m content playing in the dirt and with my beautiful daughter.

My only contribution to this topic is; if you're thinking about hanging it up, hang it up, but always keep your helmet and boots. You never know what may change your mind again---know for a fact, the rode gods will call to you and you’ll ride again---it’s what motorcyclists do.

2014 KTM 500EXC; Gold Valves RaceTech, FMF, EURO MAP, 14/50
2011 KX450F, Race Tech, Scotts
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote