View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #1058
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,499
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiney View Post
So, after going through 1000+ posts (and quite a few adult beverages ) I think I learned what I needed to know...

I have a 2012 GSA, do about 90% of my riding at night (raining or not), ride into the low 20's, don't want to give up my "instant on" rarely used high beam, and absolutely don't want any fault codes or issues with the cold temps.

I'm leaning toward: Retrofit H7 4300 35K w/canbus for low beam, keep the stock high beam (for flash and as a readily available back-up), and Retrofit H11 4300 35K for stock fogs.

It sounds like these ballasts are the bigger ones - most everything I read had to do with mounting them in older bikes - any updates or are they still a pain in the ass?

The only wiring mods required are the fog light plugs, is this correct?

Any thoughts or comments on this set-up for my particular situation? I don't mind paying a little more for a quality product and the service that comes with it.

As always, you guys rock...!
Steiney, I switched out my low beam on the '09 GSA over a year ago (4300K, 35W) and haven't changed a bulb since. I did the auxiliary lamps, too, but didn't care for them because of the "clutter." I switched them out for some PIAA HIDs with self contained ballasts and they were better. Finally, though, I've wired up some LED auxiliary lamps and wired them to flash full power in conjunction with the high beam.

If you decide to use the OEM lamps, the plugs are easy to swap. I had no CANbus issues at all as long as I stayed with 35W.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote