View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Intermezzo No.2

One look trough the window in the morning is all it takes to convince me to postpone departure. Rain, cold, very low clouds. Since most of planned ride would be in beautiful high mountains there was no sense to leave and ride in a cloud all day long.

By early afternoon weather improved and we decided to go for another short ride. This time, as advised by my sister, destination is vodopad Skakavac (waterfall) on Bukovik mountain. Another place I haven't seen before. Waterfall is some 15km away from Sarajevo city center, road is not marked that well. As we got closer a bell begin to ring in my head. Few years ago I was planning some rides around Sarajevo and I remember that there was one large waterfall. All the pictures that I saw then came back to my mind and soon I had that giant smile across my face. In few moments You'll see why

Waterfall is around 100 m high, they don't get much higher than that around here. You're following small picturesque stream trough the forest and than BAM...You find yourself at the edge of a cliff... Pictures don't do this place justice, not even close...

Am I pretty or what?

There is also a long path to the base of the falls but we didn't have time to explore it.

Deja vu... Surrounding looks familiar. I was never here before but... With some mental map drawing I realize that there is a possibility we will soon get to a place where I once turned around. This is same area where I made my first biking steps three years before (third ride ever was here, second ride was more or less same as in previous post). Back then I was coming from opposite direction but I still wasn't sure it was the same path. Five turns later we arrive at that spot. Circle completed. Another emotional moment for me. This bike belonged to my father who died in traffic accident few days after I was here three years ago. This whole ride was full of such moment and that's why it will have special place in my heart...

This whole area was once (before the war...) very popular picnic site for people from Sarajevo. Now it's just ruins and beautiful nature.

Short ride back to Sarajevo and another evening barbecue. This was a bad day to start "proper" ride but it proved to be perfect for short excursion. We didn't see a single drop of rain which was great considering the fact that rain suit remained safe back home :)

I didn't bring GPS for this ride so track is drawn in GE, it is completely accurate. If you ever find yourself in Sarajevo don't miss opportunity to visit Skakavac waterfall. It's close and it's accessible by a car (15 min of walking required). Google Earth is your friend :)

Track log:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...kavac-gpx.html

Gliga screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 11:40 AM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote