View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
uk_vette
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzbytes View Post
Sinned,

Thank you for a very thorough description - I'm motorcycle licensed in US, and can get international license without much effort.

I'm living outside the inner circle of Shanghai - Pudong out near Century Park.

With regard to simply running errands and such in the greater area, what are the requirements for a lower displacement bike?

Thinking we'll just take our major riding trips outside of China, and simply buzz around here on a standard with 100cc or so................... If I understood some locals correctly small displacement (100 and under) are treated like bicycles - no license required. When I asked if there were issues of licensing, or purchasing gas, etc, they advised that small displacement is no issue.

Thanks in advance - missing being on 2 wheels of any size.
Quote:
Sinned,

Thank you for a very thorough description - I'm motorcycle licensed in US, and can get international license without much effort. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\GRAHAM~1.GRA\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Sorry to tell you, but an international Drivers licence, isnít really a licence, and as such, it isnít worth the paper itís written on in China.

Quote:

I'm living outside the inner circle of Shanghai - Pudong out near Century Park.

With regard to simply running errands and such in the greater area, what are the requirements for a lower displacement bike?

Thinking we'll just take our major riding trips outside of China, and simply buzz around here on a standard with 100cc or so................... If I understood some locals correctly small displacement (100 and under) are treated like bicycles - no license required. When I asked if there were issues of licensing, or purchasing gas, etc, they advised that small displacement is no issue.

Thanks in advance - missing being on 2 wheels of any size. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\GRAHAM~1.GRA\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I think you will find, that the rules and regulations in China regarding 49cc Ďers is changing fast.
You can probably be OK in 3rd tier cities, but not in any thing like Shanghai.

You can take a chance, and thatís what it will be, but you will get stopped in Shanghai.
Probably lose your ride, and get slapped with a fine, or at the worst, 14 days porridge.

However, they all fall into insignificance, should you have an accident with an unlicensed / uninsured bike.

Gra.
uk_vette is offline   Reply With Quote