View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #117
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly501 View Post
I hope this isn't a silly question, but when you front up to the scrutineers with 690 written on your bike to a 450 race, I'm assuming batting your eyelashes won't cut it and the French don't do 'scouts honour' so how do they go about checking what the displacement of your motor is without actually pulling the whole thing apart and measuring things?
Hey Hillbilly! Yes, as cross-country says above, the scrutineers have ways of checking the swept capacity of engines, should they be in any doubt - I imagine this is particularly important with bikes that share similar engines in a different capacity (such as the KTM EXC in 450 & 530 capacities for example). Of course usually the block (which is one of the components marked by the scrutineers) has the cc size cast into it, but that is not to say it might not have been over bored for example...

We would certainly be up-front about it, and indeed want them to check it, just so there is no doubt in anyone's mind!

The idea is also to race the event on one engine, without ever having to take it out of the frame, so the original seals are all intact... just to show there is no funny business going on...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote