View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4587
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
Mark, is that a quote from Bike magazine UK? A special from their iPad edition? AFAIK they don't have an online presence and I'd not have thought they could have squeezed a review onto paper so quickly.

FWIW, here is a similar quote from the report at US webzine motorcycle.com:

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

"We can’t yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding."

Edit: and one more related comment, this time from the piece at canadamotoguide.com:

"The only hiccup in the bike’s handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isn’t alarming; it’s just that I don’t remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

BTW: this is NOT to encourage speculation about the Kevin Ash tragedy. Speculation about the behaviour of the bike is a separate and perfectly relevant matter. I don't find those quotes particularly concerning, but OTOH their authors obviously were concerned enough to report them.

Moronic screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 05:36 PM Reason: Added CMG quote
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote