View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I've never ridden a bike there but I was in DVNP 2 years ago at that time (mid-late March) with a 4x4 group and here's what I can pass on:

1. The gas stations at Scotty's Castle and Grapevine/Mequite Springs will be closed, so plan accordingly.
That gas station has been closed for years; it's a shame too since it sure would be nice to have gas available up there.

Quote:
2. The road between Ubehebe Crater and Teakettle junction was the WORST washboard road I have ever driven on, period. It took us around 2 hours to go the 20 miles. On our way up there, we ran into a couple of women in a late-model Suburban who had driven from Teakettle to Ubehebe without airing down their tires. They experienced 3 flat tires and were only able to keep going by driving a little, then stopping to air the tire back up, and then driving some more.
I was there not long after you -- end of May. I agree, it was nasty washboard. I was on my DR650. I found myself standing for most of the ride because the vibration from the washboard, even at 25-30 mph, was giving me a headache.

Quote:
We didn't do Lippincott or Hunter Mountain so I can't comment on those trails. We did do Mengel Pass and Goler Canyon, from East to West and they were both pretty decent. I think it helped that we were heading downhill on the worst part of Goler.
Unless there's cold weather/snow predicted, I'd much rather do Hunter Mountain than that washboarded road from hell. It's a much more fun ride, as long as it's not snowy or muddy up there. And lots of nice places to camp in the trees, so at least you'll be protected from the wind, even if it's cold.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote