View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #3343
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
I am not even going to pretend to be a welder. I'm just trying to bend something back into shape. The crash bar on my KTM 950 was bent on a get-off last year. I have removed the crash bar and would like to bend the lower mount so that the upper part of the bar is not touching the gas tank. I have a propane torch. Will this generate enough heat to bend the crash bar?
TIA
No one else answered, so.

When I straigtened my crash bars we used an oxy kit, because that's what was available - but you only need/want the metal just turning red anyway so we weren't putting in a lot of heat in compared to what oxy can put out.

My guess is that provided you have no draughts you'll do it. Maybe get some steel tube from a junk yard and practice with that first ?.

To be honest the biggest problems were getting enough leverage and not twisting the bars so the mounts didn't fit any more - ideally have the mounts bolted down to something really solid and use a long lever or hydraulics to straighen the bars. Took a lot more force than I expected to straighten mine.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote