View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #3345
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I have a fondness of reading how to do things and appreciate the benefits of reading about others mistakes. Mistakes still happen, just not the same ones. The definition of an expert is someone who has made all the mistakes possible and can immediately recognize when one has been started.

A couple of things I intend to try are the wet sock trick to stop heat and making a backing/support piece from sheet steel. The wet sock is stuffed in the fork tube (and maybe a wet rag around it as well) to keep it cool. The backing plate holds the tang in place and prevents dripping molten aluminum while welding. With enough skill, this should work.

Please post up pics while you are doing this and some pics of the finished repair..

I have been a fabricator for 36+ yrs and wouldn't attempt this the way you are...but then again, I have Experience and a few nice welders...good luck and carry on. (Several others have tried to explain why they wouldn't trust the repair as you are going to do it, add me to that list).

I wish I had the written verbal skills of Benesesso and could explain all the pitfalls that await, however I am a man of limited vocabulary skills...so I just say....After you atr done experimenting and Learning...do yourself a favor......Buy a new fork leg.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote