View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #1745
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Obviously just speculation and perhaps wishful thinking, but I interpret the various press releases, interviews etc as saying that Husky will be positioned for volume and price to compete with the Japanese, but still focusing on dirt and SM, and presumably also dual sport. To me this suggests a VW vs Audi type relationship between Husky and KTM branded bikes. And also, singles only thus no Nuda or other pure street bikes.

So whether it continues long term with the "BMW" engine, I would see a bike like the TR650 very much in the lineup, to compete against the DR650, Yam 660 and the KLR, with smaller DS or SM Huskies positioned against the CR250L, DRZ400 etc. And if they reflect KTM values with generally newer tech, including better suspension than the Japanese (but one notch below KTM) so much the better. It actually makes more sense than BMW's approach, whatever that was. Unrelated now to this Husky thread, but I'm also curious what this means for BMWs bike futures, noting the stated emphasis on urban mobility .... sounds like scooters to me, not S1000RR or R1200GS.

-dman
As you can see from my sig line I have an old BMW. It wasn't old when I got it - it just won't go away. Other bikes come and go and it just keeps hanging around. Obviously BMW did something I like, so I wasn't fazed by BMW's ownership of Husky or the direction they seemed to be going.

I rather liked the TR models quite alot. One BMW/Husky dealer did wonder how many G650gs they were going to sell when the Terra was so good and lots cheaper.

I don't know, but sometimes it seems like BMW corporate just has its collective heads up its collective asses.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote